9 slices of brioche bread (or white bread), toasted and broken into 1" pieces
100 gm (3.5 oz) Portuguese chouriço, Spanish chorizo or andouillie, chopped
250 gm (9 oz) shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
2 tbsp butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
3/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
2 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp rubbed sage
3 eggs, beaten
3 cups duck broth or chicken broth (my homemade broth was salted to taste)
36 unsalted saltine crackers, crushed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter 9 x 9 casserole and set aside.
1. Over medium heat brown the sausage in a frying pan. Remove sausage from the pan and pour off oil but reserving about 2 tbsp in the pan for sauteing the vegetables.
2. Add two tbsp of butter to the pan. Saute onions, celery, bell pepper and dried herbs over medium heat until soft. This will take around 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Lightly salt and pepper the chopped shrimp. (about 1/2 tsp salt)
4. In a large bowl toss together bread, crackers, sausage, eggs, sauteed vegetables and broth, until well combined.
5. Pour into casserole dish and bake 45 minutes or until cooked through.